Saturday, February 25, 2017

Non Pareil

While working on one of my projects recently I pulled out one of the antique hand saws that I seem to have accumulated here over the years. I know there are power saws that will do the job better, faster and with less effort but in the spirit of making do with what I have I went with this one.
Although after a  few minutes I found it did not work well at all it was still interesting to read the fine print on the saw.
It has "H.W. Nevard" stamped on the handle so I'm guessing it was one that my grandfather brought from England when he first came to Canada in 1905. Probably one that he acquired while working as Carpenter's Apprentice in Lexden, Essex, U.K.  It shows signs of hard use with a break in the handle.
W. Tyzack and Turner & Sons stamped on the frame as well as the name "Non Pareil" over the little elephant image. No doubt a brand name from long ago.

I was thinking of a fellow blogger, Gorges Smythe when I took the saw photos since he appreciates a good wood working tool and writes an interesting blog you might like to check out some time.

1 comment:

  1. I have two Disston saws of my paternal grandfather's, a crosscut and a rip saw. Accompanying them is a device for lack of the real name may be a 'saw set' used to offset the teeth appropriately. I remember watching him sharpening them sixty years ago so I assume they accompanied his toolbox from the 1920s on. It's good to pull these things out from time to time. On each remodeling project I pull out a box that contains tools from each of my grandfathers, my father and a favorite uncle and let them leave a ceremonial mark. It reminds me of what I did and could have learned from each of them.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you like.